Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Get Your Milk Ready!

Recipe taken from here

I am in absolute love with my homemade peanut butter. Honestly, I've been slabbing it on anything and everything. This morning was no exception. I found a recipe the other day for an oatmeal that was created on my favourite chocolate bar... not really sure if you can consider it a bar, but regardless, Reece's Peanut Butter Cups. I love them. Peanut butter and chocolate were a match made in heaven and could definitely convert any non-peanut butter lover or non-chocolate lover to become fans. This was a very delicious oatmeal, especially since I got to add my beautiful homemade coconut peanut butter, nomnomnom, and with the addition of a banana it made it even more superb. Ever since I started eating bananas (a couple years ago now, I was never able to eat them before because of the texture, but the taste definitely outweighs the weird texture bananas have so I gave in) regardless if eating a banana by itself I alwayyyyys slather it with peanut butter, always. A banana just isn't a banana with out the smoothe creamy nutty taste of peanut butter.

Even when I eat pancakes I always spoon a heaping spoonful of peanut butter onto my pancakes then begin to eat my pancakes with my hands. I tear my pancake into little pieces and nope, all through out this process I never use my fork or knife (except at the beginning when I need to put my peanut butter on my pancake). I’m quite odd I understand. This is quite off topic.

Regardless, I love peanut butter and banana together. Then with the addition of chocolate, because those two lovers go so well together, it’s a beautiful threesome of three wonderful partners.

At first I was really skeptical of the oatmeal. Not when I had initially seen the photograph but when I made it. You know when you keep oatmeal on the stove for so long and it becomes a big glob of glue? That’s what this looked like. However, it didn’t taste anything like it. No, this oatmeal was special. The “glue-like” texture was due to the peanut butter, which wasn’t glue, no, it was fluffy. The hints of cinnamon with a subtle hint of vanilla and the other flavours, oh yum. This was delicious. It was incredibly filling too. I despise wasting food so I definitely didn’t want to throw any of it out especially when it tasted so good, but it was so filling! A 1/2 cup of oatmeal pretty much makes one full cup of oatmeal, plus the additional ingredients added it was filling. I ate every last bite though. I will definitely be making this again because it was such a great way to start the day!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup water
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 medium banana, sliced into thin pieces
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp homemade peanut butter
Directions:

In a medium size pan, heat the oats, water, and salt over medium heat. Once the mixture begins to simmer, approximately 5-6 minutes, stir in the sliced banana. Continue to stir until the banana breaks down and the mixture thickens. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa powder and stir until incorporated.

I really like the texture and thickness that the banana adds. Once it cooks down, you don’t really have many banana chucks, but just a hint of banana bread type flavor throughout and thick, creamy oats. If you would prefer to omit the banana flavor, or reduce calories, you can definitely leave the banana out. This is more of a personal preference.

Pour oats into a serving bowl and top with peanut butter.

Get your glass of milk ready!

No comments: