Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Foe or Friend?

Do you like grapefruit?

Over the past few weeks, I have seen ample people posting pictures of grapefruit recipes. They are such beautiful fruits. Segmented or not, their bright pink colour is just so alluring. Unfortunately I have never been a fan of grapefruit. I have tried to like them on many occasions, however I have always found them to be incredibly sour with a horrible after taste.

However, when I was at the grocery store I decided to pick one up. I think part of the "rules" of being a blogger is trying things you may not be used to. I say this because I feel as though it is our "duty" to deliver recipes to those around us, with variations of foods, flavours that others may not think of. Maybe that's just me, but with this thought in mind, it was allowed me to explore and expand my food choices. I have discovered that I actually enjoy butternut squash, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, beans, goji berries, applesauce, and much more. These are things I might have steered far away from before, but I now look forward to exotic flavour pairings and things I have not tried before.

What did I learn about grapefruit though? I still don't like grapefruit. They are still absolutely beautiful fruit, with such a captivating colour. Even doused with lots of honey, cardamom and vanilla the flavour of the grapefruit was unfortunately not sweet enough for me. Healthy yes? Delicious, unfortunately no. However, I did enjoy the hot juices that came from it. Would I make it again? Maybe, because I know how insanely healthy they are, and with different combinations and maybe a truckload of sugar, I may be able to get over the fear that I get upon biting into the sour grapefruit.

Ingredients:
  • 1 grapefruit
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • Cardamom - to taste
Directions:

Cut your grapefruit in half, if you have a grapefruit knife section your fruit, if not try to use a serrated knife. Mix together your honey and vanilla. Top with cardamom and place under your broiler until the tops begin to bubble and squirt warm juice about 5 - 10 minutes.

How do you eat your grapefruit?

2 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hello Samantha! So nice stopping by to visit you! I don't like grapefruit either. I have tried, but agree with you. They do nasty things to my mouth! My dad loved them which is surprising because he tended to be a picky eater.

I have enjoyed perusing several of your posts! Thank you for stopping by my place and leaving your comment!

Kindly, Lorraine

Samantha said...

Thank you for your comment, I'm glad you stopped in! And it was no problem :)
- Sincerely, Samantha