Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Chocolate Chip Vanilla Bean Cookies + Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies

Chocolate Chip Vanilla Bean Cookies

Recipe taken from here

This weekend I decided I was going to get a head-start on my Christmas baking. I started with some traditional Christmas cookies then I finished off my can of pumpkin (just to get rid of it this wasn't part of my Christmas baking), but then by the end of Sunday night I decided that I wanted to take a staple cookie and spruce it up a little bit. A household just isn't complete without a chocolate chip cookie or two laying around the house. Chocolate chip cookies are so brilliant, they are so simple to make, pack so much flavour and are loved by seriously everyone chocolate lover or not. You can add butterscotch, white chocolate peanut butter, walnuts, sprinkles, caramel, pretzels, peanuts, oatmeal, Mars bars, Rolo anything really and your cookie is still going to be awesome. Crunchy, soft, hard, any texture too. Really these cookies could satisfy any craving because you can add your preference and cook it to your desired texture and it makes it YOUR cookie.

What can I say about these cookies? Brown sugar + granulated sugar = perfection. Then we add vanilla in two forms; vanilla bean and vanilla extract. Could this cookie get any more dreamy? I baked these cookies a little less than stated and they came out perfectly. The aroma these little puppies gave off was amazing. The melted ooey-gooey chocolate with the beautiful scent of vanilla was invigorating.

This is the first time (other than my vanilla extract) that I've used real vanilla bean. I searched last week for a couple of recipes that used vanilla bean and I was so excited when it was added to a simple chocolate chip cookie. I'm definitely more than happy that I bought some extra vanilla beans, especially considering there Bourbon vanilla beans and I seriously find the smell is so captivating, it really smells better than your normal vanilla. Ahhh these cookies were delicious. Definitely a nice way to spruce up a chocolate chip cookie without taking away from the type of cookie that it is.

Ingredients:
  • 6 oz semisweet chocolate chunks
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 1 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 egg at room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scrape the seeds out of the vanilla bean. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, vanilla bean scrapings and combine thoroughly. Gradually add the dry ingredients and mix until a very thick dough forms. Fold in the chocolate chunks. Form cookies by dropping tablespoons of dough on the sheet two inches apart. Flatten slightly then bake until light brown, 12 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies

Recipe taken from here

Here is another chocolate chip cookie spritzed up with some pretzels. Simple enough right? Yes, but it makes such a big difference. It combines sweet and salty all in one and makes this cookie a tier higher than a regular chocolate chip cookie. I'm not sure if this cookie would be as much of a hit with pretzel haters but I am a huge huge hugeeeee fan of pretzels (I literally eat pretzels every day) so these were a big hit in my book! Will definitely be made again and again.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp. of salt
  • 1/4 tsp. of baking soda
  • 1/2 cup of butter at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup of tightly packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup broken up pretzel pieces

Directions:


In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.


Beat the butter and sugars together until well blended. On low speed, slowly add the beaten egg and vanilla extract until combined.

Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture until the batter comes together. Stir in the chocolate chips, and pretzels. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350F. Form the dough into balls and place on baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.

Dig in :)

No comments: