Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies

Recipe taken from here

I have mentioned time and time again how much I love the flavours of fall. Nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin, butternut squash, etc, etc... ugh I loooove. When I saw this recipe I was a bit iffy at first just because when it comes to certain recipes I really am iffy about jazzing them up. I mean certain cookies are classics for a reason. Adding crystallized ginger to a molasses or a ginger cookies is a subtle twist however, adding chocolate to a molasses cookie, that, I just wasn't sure about, but I wanted to try it nonetheless. I have to admit, they still gave off the most amazing aroma with a touch of sweetness from the chocolate. I did really really enjoy these cookies. I microwaved them when they were cold for almost two minutes so that they literally fell apart at the subtle touch. I wanted to take a picture of them, but, well I gobbled them up way too quickly and didn't think fast enough because they were so sinful. I wouldn't make these over a molasses cookie, but I would make this for people who aren't the biggest fans of molasses, because there is still a touch of molasses but the chocolate definitely overrides it. This is certainly a nice recipe but not a favourite, however, this dunked in some hot cocoa would be absolutely fantastic!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 tbsp grated, peeled ginger
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 tsp boiling water
  • 7 ounces best quality semi-sweet chocolate, cut into chunks
  • Sugar, for dusting
Directions:

In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg & cocoa powder together. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter & fresh ginger until light & fluffy {about 4 minutes}. Add the brown sugar & mix. Add the molasses, then mix.

In a small bowl dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water. Add the dry ingredients in 2 batches, adding the baking soda in between. Beat until just combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer & stir in the chocolate chunks.

Scoop the dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Using your hands, press the dough down to a 1 inch thickness. Wrap & chill for 2 hours, or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough into small balls, about 1" in diameter. Toss the balls in a bowl of sugar until evenly coated. Place 2" apart on a parchment lined baking sheet & bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the surfaces begin to crack. Rotate the pans halfway through the cooking time. Transfer to a wire rack & cool.

Cookies can be stored in airtight containers for up to 5 days.


Enjoy :)

No comments: