Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus + Tzatziki + Feta Sun-Dried Tomato Spread + Sun-Dried Tomatoes

What is summer with out any dips? I realize that it's not really summer anymore, considering we've been in the transition to fall for a couple of weeks now. However, my computer has been on the frits for a while, and I couldn't put it off any longer and had to take it in... just when I was finally getting caught up with my recipes, something has to happen to push me back again, sigh... I didn't make many dips over the summer, since I can't really eat store bought bread/nachos and don't always feel like making an insane amount of food just to have a little something. I did however make these when I was wanting to fulfill my vegetable desire with a little dip. With that being said, I have three excellent dips that pair well with vegetables, pitas, nachos, on breads as a spread in sandwiches or even as is, if you're feeling a little glutinous ;), onto the recipes shall we?

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

Recipe adapted from here

To start this recipe off, I want to show you guys something. Let's go back a couple of months time and take a look at one of my first posts: hummus. I look back just a few months back and see already how much I've learnt in so little time. I mean, really, look at that disgusting mess that I called "hummus". I was so proud of myself too, really, I thought I was the cat's meow. Ha, I was quite naive. I mean, not to say I'm so amazing now, but I mean comparing that swamp meat to this, oh yeah... this was heavenly. I mean, it was smoothe, LOOKED and TASTED like hummus, and was just blissful. Really, I'm not the BIGGEST fan of hummus, but this hit the nail on the head, this is THE recipe for hummus. It was insanely delicious, oh yeah, this recipe is certainly a keeper, and will definitely be made time and time again.

Ingredients:
  • 4 large roasted red peppers, skin and seeds removed
  • 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 1/2 cup raw tahini
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
Garnish:
  • EVOO
  • Sprinkle of cayenne pepper
Directions:

In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients (except for garnish). Blend until smoothe. You may want to scrape down the sides of the blender/food processor bowl with a spatula a few times to incorporate all the ingredients.

Drizzle with EVOO and cayenne pepper.

Tzatziki

Recipe taken from here


Next on our list is the traditional Greek dip tzatziki. When I was younger, every Friday night, my parents would take my brother and I to Mr. Greek. I absolutely loved the food, I got the same thing EVERY time, really, I loved the dish I got so much and never had any desire to switch it up. By going to this restaurant I fell madly in-love with tzatziki, really, if I hadn't finished up the tzatziki with my meal I would scrape at the dish with my fingers and lick it. Gross I know, but it was just so darn good. Then, a couple of years later my dad became really good friends with a Greek, who was married to this Greek woman who made an insanely sinful tzatziki dip, from there, I knew at one point in my life I had to try and make it. I can't believe it took me so long to try, but I'm glad I did finally get to making it. It was good, not AS good as Mr. Greeks, but it definitely hit the spot. It was light, refreshing, and to top it all off its really healthy, what could be better than that?

Sun-Dried Tomatoes
While growing up, I can always remember in the summer my mom leaving the oven on over night and making sun-dried tomatoes. I loved the smell, hated the taste. Really, I still hate the taste but I'm more open to eating them now. The smell of the house while these were baking was so aromatic, it was nice, it really put me at ease. It made me happy too, it reminded me of when my mom would make them, really I think that is why I made them. She always used to say, "I eat these like candy". Really? Candy to me is fruit, or CANDY, but these, no way. However, I'll leave the candy-eating tomatoes to her, and save sun-dried tomatoes when I make them for the following dip!

Ingredients:
  • 2 Romano tomatoes
  • EVOO
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
  • Oregano
Directions:

Preheat oven to the lowest temperature it goes to. Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise. Arrange with the insides facing up.

Depending on the size of the tomatoes your time will vary. I left mine in the oven for 8 hours.
Feta Sun-Dried Tomato Spread


Recipe taken from here

Last but certainly not least on our list is this devilishly good dip. I had just made sundried tomatoes and was so excited when I saw this recipe come up one of the blogs I follow. Once the tomatoes were cooled, I had started to assemble this dip together. It was GREAT. It was fluffy, full of fresh flavour, comforting, just, really really great. I definitely recommend this dip to anyone who is a dip fan, this would be so divine with a bag of original potato chips, oh yes!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 lb feta cheese
  • 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup Greek-style plain yoghurt
  • 1 small clove of garlic, minced
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 green onion, sliced

Directions:

Place all of your ingredients excluding the green onions in the bowl of a food processor and process until smoothe.

Add the green onions and pulse until just mixed.

Invite some friends over, have a game night and take out some of these delicious dips, and dig in!

No comments: