Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Pretzel Bites + Chocolate Dipped Vanilla Oreo Pretzels

Recipe taken + adapted from here

I have always been a huge fan of pretzels. Be it soft, hard, sticks, circles, knots, you name it, I love. I'm not sure why really because I don't really care for salt, to tell you the truth, I found at my health food store organic whole wheat pretzels without salt, oh my goodness, they are divine! I love pretzels.

When I was younger, my one friend and I every time we would go to the mall would buy those gigantic pretzels with cheese sauce, can you say devilishly good? I can. This was such a great treat to indulge in, however, I did it more than I should have, but they were just so good. Have your sweet salty treat with a great blueberry raspberry slushy and you are set! Ahh the memories.

This recipe is so so bad (not in that it taste disgusting OH NO). This was just... I tried to stop myself, I did and I just couldn't. Having them fresh out of the oven, without the insane amount of grease was just such a gift. They called my name, seriously I heard them screaming SAAAAMANTHA and I know I've said that loads of times before, but with my friend Jenna as a witness she got sucked into them as well. Yes, they are bad, very bad, especially ESPECIALLY if you're on a diet, now don't come back and tell me I didn't warn you because I did, but they are so worth it. I will definitely be making these again. I had made pretzels a few months back, one of my first posts on this blog but they were not even nearly as good, no, Jordan wouldn't even eat them, I did, but did not enjoy them as much as these bad boys. Oh boy, I cannot wait to treat myself to these again.

I did everything that was in the recipe, the ONLY thing I changed is that for the sticks I chopped up 3-4 vanilla/white Oreo's and put those in the mix with 1 tsp vanilla. I then melted some white chocolate, dipped them and covered them in sprinkles, oh I know, it was bad!

Do you want the recipe yet?

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110 F)
  • 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 1 package (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
  • 3 ounces (6 tbsp) unsalted butter, melted and cooled just slightly
  • 2 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 quarts water
  • 3/4 cup baking soda
  • 1 whole egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water
  • Coarse sea salt

Directions:

On low speed, mix the water, sugar, yeast, and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook until combined. Let sit for 5 minutes.

Add the salt and 4 1/2 cups of the flour and mix on low speed until combined. Increase the speed to medium and continue kneading until the dough is smooth and begins to pull away from the side of the bowl, about 3 to 4 minutes. If the dough appears too wet, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough clears the sides of the bowl. Remove the dough from the bowl, place on a lightly floured surface and knead into a ball with your hands.

Spray a bowl with cooking spray (or oil with with vegetable oil), add the dough and turn to coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 425 F. Spray two baking sheets liberally with cooking spray.

Bring the water to a boil in a small roasting pan over high heat and add the baking soda.

Remove the dough from the bowl and place on a flat surface. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces, about 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 ounces each. Roll each piece into a long rope measuring about 22 inches. Cut the dough into one inch pieces to make pretzel bites. Boil the pretzel bites in the water solution in batches of about 10-15 for 30 seconds. Remove with a large slotted spoon and place the pretzel bites on the prepared baking sheets, making sure they aren’t touching. Brush the tops with the egg wash and season liberally with the salt. Place into the oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove to a cooling rack and let rest 5 minutes before eating.

Betcha can't have just one ;)

No comments: