Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Amaretti - Italian Almond Cookies


Amaretti's are one of my all time favourite cookies, they make me proud to be Italian. Almond is definitely one of my top five flavours of all time. It's such a sweet yet rich flavour at the same time. The smell is so delightful as well, it makes me so happy breathing in that beautiful smell. These remind me of being a little girl, I'm not sure why really. Neither of my parents ever made these cookies, but I just remember being small and loving these crunchy but soft cookies. That's whats wonderful about these cookies, they have a crunchy texture, but the inside is oh so soft and delightful. I have searched on the internet countless hours, and this was the one that jumped out at me. The true Italian Amaretti's are made with pure almond, there are a lot of copy cat recipes out there that use almond paste... this just doesn't give it the "real" flavour. I need to grab the traditional recipe for these cookies of one of my aunt's, because as close as this was to a traditional Amaretti, it still wasn't IT. In the mean time however, this definitely hit the spot.

Ingredients:
  • 250 grams grounded almond
  • 80 grams confectioners sugar
  • 3 teaspoons chocolate powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 table spoon of Disaronno almond liquor or almond essence
  • Sugar crystals to roll the cookies
Directions:
Preheat the oven at 180C/350F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone mat and reserve. Mix almond flour, sugar and chocolate. Mix eggs and liquor. Add eggs mixture to flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Use a teaspoon to make small ball and roll them on the crystals of sugar. Transfer to the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes.

Makes 40 cookies

No comments: