Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Thanksgiving breakfast in Korea

Seeing as I am still in Korea, I was unable to be home for Thanksgiving.  By the way happy-belated Thanksgiving to all you other fellow Canadians out there!  Hope you all had a wonderful day/long weekend spent with your friends and loved ones.  Seeing as I wasn’t in Canada, I still wanted to have some food to celebrate with.  Truthfully, out of all the holidays we celebrate, I think Thanksgiving is my favourite one.  The reason I say this is because, my family doesn’t have many traditions that we keep, every year we seem to lose more and more.  We don’t go to church Christmas Eve, my mom hasn’t baked cookies in a few years for Christmas, we don’t spend our two weeks at Christmas with friends and family (going up North to visit our family), coming from parents who are separated also makes it a little harder to keep those childhood traditions we once had.
There are a lot of traditions that have been lost, but there are still a lot that I try to keep up with.  Thanksgiving although Jordan and I were not with our families, we still made an effort to come up with a meal so that we wouldn’t be “itis-less”. 
Last week we had planned to make our Thanksgiving meal on Tuesday.  Silly me, and as I looked up the date for this year’s Thanksgiving, I accidentally looked up last years.  Logically I should have realized Thanksgiving never falls on a Tuesday, unfortunately though I didn’t pick up on it until Sunday.  That’s okay though.  Jordan and I did our groceries for our Thanksgiving lunch (since he works in the afternoons until late), and prepped our big guys Monday night.  I am not going to go into much detail yet what we had, because I want to share with you guys the oatmeal I made myself Monday morning for Thanksgiving.
As Thanksgiving has come and gone, and the weather has gotten cooler, you can feel that winter is coming, gasp.  However, with winter comes oatmeal, and that is something I look very forward to.  I love oatmeal and I love how versatile, cheap, filling, healthy, to name just a few of the reasons why I love a good bowl of oats.
Since I knew we weren’t going to be celebrating Thanksgiving on Monday, I woke up and made myself a hearty-holiday packed bowl of oats.  It was super fantastic.  Other than my creamsicle oats, I have never used an orange in my oats.  For this bowl I decided to throw one in and hot dang, this bowl was certainly magnificent.  I definitely enjoyed this bowl and will surely be making it again through out the cold months to come!
Thanksgiving Inspired Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 oranged, cubed
  • 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
  • 1/4 cup soy milk
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 heaping tsp cinnamon
  • Dash of salt
  • Handful of dried cranberries
  • Handful of pumpkin seeds
Directions:
In a medium pot, over medium heat add your quinoa flakes, milk, water, salt and cinnamon.  As your oats start to cook throw in your orange (keeping some to garnish your finished bowl with).  Once cooked, top with remaining orange pieces, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, and sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top!
 What are some traditions your family upholds around the holidays?

No comments: