Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Raw Macaroons + Another Smoothie Recipe

Raw Chocolate Macaroons

Recipe adapted from here


 Realized this while editing, the peanut butter is shaped like a heart, awwww.

I'd first heard of macaroon cookies a couple of years ago when my dad had surprised me for Easter with Martha Stewart's Cookies.  Out of all the recipes in the book, this was the first one I tried to make.  Successful, yes.  Delicious, of course, I mean the main ingredient is cookie.  Vegan, nope.  Since I went vegan I've been wanting to make macaroons, however, I don't think using flax or chia egg would give you the same result as egg whites, and I've never been able to find egg replacer's so this is a cookie that I haven't been able to replicate since going vegan, that is until now.

Not too long ago I came across a recipe for a raw macaroon.  I was delighted to find this, because honestly, any cookie that has coconut in it, is a must-make.  The only thing I was a little hesitant about was the chocolate, but as I said in my last post, I'm willing to try baked goods with chocolate if they have coconut in it, this was especially an exception since 95% of the recipe was coconut!

These macaroons were even better than what I remember macaroons tasting like, chocolate and all.  They were so simple to make, especially since there isn't any egg whites in the recipe, you don't have to use the stove to let them bake on low heat for 2-3 hours, no, no, these are almost instantaneous other than the fact you need to let them freeze for a minimum of thirty minutes.  These were so soft and sweet (from the maple syrup), the mix of coconut, chocolate, maple syrup, and peanut butter was stupendous.

I shared these with many different people from work, all getting the same reaction, "mmmm, these are so good, you must blog this!"  Well that's exactly what I'm doing.  In the past few weeks I've made many desserts, many meals, all of which being delicious, none of which have been photographed or blogged.  Unfortunately many recipes have been forgotten due to my laziness and I need to get over that, which I think I have... I'm in the mood to blog again, but unfortunately the timing isn't the best since I leave for Korea in three sleeps!

This is such a quick recipe to make, and is sure to please.  Have somewhere to go, and don't have that much time to spend on something to bring?  Make these.  You can also make them ahead, and since you keep them in the freezer they'll be ready for you already!

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut meat
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 2 heaping tbsp coconut peanut butter (1 1/2 cups peanut butter, 1/4 cup coconut, 1 tsp coconut extract, 1 tbsp coconut oil)
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 pinches of sea salt
Directions:

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir well.

Using a tablespoon, scoop rounds of macaroon batter onto tray.  Leave in freezer for 30 minutes to set.

This morning, I may or may not of enjoyed these cutie pies, alongside of a Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large banana, frozen
  • 3/4 cup frozen raspberries
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 dark chocolate soy pudding
  • Cacao nibs - garnish
Directions:

Whizz up your ingredients, top with cacao nibs and you're set!

Three more days until Korea!

1 comment:

xlpharmacy said...

I s the brown color because of the bananas? BECAUSE it has an incredible appearance, this recipe would be so perfect to improvise something really delicious at home.