Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

When the sun come up I'll be there to say what up...

Hello friends!

Is everyone else finding that this week is going by as fast as the speed of light?  Okay, maybe not as fast as the speed of light, but it is going insanely quickly, which is never a bad thing.  This week has been busy, but it has not been too, too bad.

At work we have this thing called "Lotto Plateau", you put in $10.00 and you put your name in a box.  Well my friend and I went splits last week, and to our delight Monday morning we got told that our name was picked!  I've never won anything from a draw like that so needless to say I was insanely ecstatic.  The total pot was $600.00, so $300.00 each is not a bad thing at all.  At first I was thinking I would buy an iPad with it (well, to pay for some of it of course), but I think I may wait a bit for the iPad (perhaps on the next show I work on, as it's not something I need at the moment). 

Regardless of the stress I've felt the past few weeks at work, with rain comes sunshine, with bad comes good... sometimes you just have to wait for the good to come, but in the end it's always worth it.  With a positive attitude in life, trivial matters don't seem to be as serious either, that is probably the top lesson I've learnt in the past few months, and I live by it everyday.

So... last week I posted an entry called, "Gift of the Vegan Gods - Banana Scrambles" ... well I had mentioned in that post that they were a craze a few months back (I had seen them a lot when I had first begun blogging).  The thing is, I've been reading a lot of people's comments, and other bloggers who have now made banana scrambles since I posted my recipe... and it seems that the ooey-gooey banana pancake-like scrambles weren't as much of a craze as I thought, as most of the veg's who had been reading the entry said that they'd never heard of them.  Maybe I thought I saw them a bit more than I thought... I'm not sure, but I'm glad that my recipe last week for a Tropical Banana Scramble has had a lot of influence and inspiration lately, and it's nice to see the different creations that fellow bloggers have.  This is one of my all-time favourite breakfasts' so to get other ideas of flavour pairings for them excites me!

Now to start with the food, as well, (hello to my two new followers!  Ah, it excites me to see that people actually want to read my blog and follow!) This morning for breakfast I had one really delicious smoothies.  It's been about a week or so since I had my last smoothie and I'm really missing them.  I've been slacking on my workouts... which has left me feeling sort of down to be honest.  I've been too tired to wake up in the morning, I've been going to bed insanely early (I'm talking 7:30 pm, then waking up on and off all night), been eating like a cow, and just bleh... so with all that being said, the lack of workouts means a lack of smoothie, because usually that's where I sneak in my protein.  This morning though, I wanted something quick, I wanted something sweet, and I wanted something that would be easy to transport, well, smoothies are just that.  I loved the flavour combination in this smoothie as it's been a theme I've been eating in my fruit salads so I figured why not try it in smoothie form, ooooohhhh yum!

Raspberry Banana Mango Smoothie


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup frozen raspberries
  • 1 large banana, frozen
  • 1/2 mango, cut in chunks, frozen
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
Directions:

Blend to perfection and gobble down!

As I mentioned in my last post, I very much look forward to easy recipes and leftovers, the lunch that I've been having for the past few days is just that.  This summer chickpeas have quickly become a favourite of mine, anytime I see a salad that includes chickpeas I'm sure to jot it down, even if it doesn't have chickpeas you can be sure that I'm more than likely to add 1/2 a can or so.  The other night I fell asleep at 7:30 pm... I then woke up at 12:30 am and realized, oh no, I didn't make my lunchSo, I had to do what any other sane person would do, go into the kitchen of course (... because apparently "sane" people wouldn't just rollover and go back to sleep, hahaha).  I couldn't wait to eat this salad, as I was mixing the ingredients my mouth was watering, this salad looked insanely delicious.  Yeah well, the next day I had it, I certainly felt that feeling of satisfaction.  It was just... amazing.  It was really quick to make, hence I was back in bed i.e. on the couch by 12:45 am, it was healthy, it was salty yet sweet, it had crunch, it was light, it was perfect, this is definitely one of the best summer salads I've had in a long time.  What's even better by subbing quinoa for couscous, the oven is literally on for two minutes, other than that, it's a chop and toss salad, which is great especially for those summer days where the heat is unbearable (but if you're like me and are making this in the middle of the night it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you ;) )

Orange Pistachio Couscous Salad

Recipe adapted from here


 Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups spinach, chopped
  • 1/2 can of chickpeas
  • 1/2 cup cucumber, chopped
  • 1/3 cup cooked couscous
  • ~ 1/4 cup pistachios, unshelled
  • ~ 1/2 cup satsuma oranges
  • 1/4 red onion
  • Salt - to taste
  • 1/2 tbsp EVOO
Directions:

Put the spinach, chickpeas, cucumber, cooked couscous, satsumas, pistachios and onion in a bowl, and toss together.

Add the olive oil, and salt to the bowl.  Stir, serve right away, or refrigerate until ready to eat.

Had you ever heard of banana scrambles before?
If so have you tried them?
What flavours would you like to try/see?

No comments: