Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Pumpkin Chili? Deeeeeeliiiisssshhhh

After trying chili for the first time a few weeks ago, I knew I had to make another batch sometime soon.  Who knew that someday would be the following day.  Yes, I still had a ton of chili left from my first batch, but I was craving pumpkin and after coming across a chili recipe that included canned pumpkin I knew I must make it.  I mean, I did still have some pumpkin leftover from the errr, failed pumpkin chocolate cupcakes (that I eventually started liking), I thought that this would be a good way to use the remaining pumpkin.
Between both of the batches of chili I'm not sure which I liked more.  As my friend however said, I am taking the "chili" away from chili.  I don't agree, however she says no chili has sweet potato, and there certainly isn't a chili that contains pumpkin, she then continued to say how it was called... something with a g, however I cannot remember it right now.  I mean, the chili I made may not be your grandmother's chili, but why can't we change recipes to suit our tastes'?  Yes, there are your standard, traditional chili's, but let's be real here, the majority of the recipes that are on this blog are far from traditional or standard, when would grandma ever stick spinach in her smoothies?  She might of tried to trick us by processing vegetables in a tomato sauce, or coating onions in deep-fried batter, but as for hiding leafy greens in deliciously sweet fruit smoothies, I don't think so.  I also don't think she would use silken tofu instead of whipped cream or cream cheese, no, no she wouldn't. 
I often get looks from my friends and family at some of the foods I eat.  The same friend as above and I are planning on going to see Harry Potter this coming Saturday, when she was talking about the popcorn she will be eating the movies with extra-extra-extra butter, I said with a smile to her, "guess what snack I'm going to be having?!", not giving her any hint or anything her response was, "kale chips?".  Ding, nail on the head!  She finds my "kale chips" to be the most disgusting things ever (but I give her credit she did try them).
Today at work I got a call asking me for my "help".  My response was a simple "with what?".  So, so, so sad, but yesterday one of my co-workers got a call yesterday from his wifes' work and that she had to be brought to the hospital.  I'm not sure the details exactly, but it turns out she started hemerraging from the brain and needed to go in for surgery.   Thankfully the surgery went well, but there is no response... I can't even imagine the pain, stress, worry, etc, etc that this family is going through, I trutfully can't even imagine even nearly what this family is going through.  Wonderfully healthy one day, the next, well, you just never know... the reason why I told you guys this story is because, I was asked to "help".  Well, this man's family they are vegetarian, so I was asked to make a "grocery list" of foods that vegetarians eat, as well as some "sweets" that vegetarians eat.
At first I was more than willing to help, but then as I thought of it I was very confused.  Does one "meat eater" eat the same food as another "meat eater"?  Do they all eat cheese, mustard, pickles and tomato on their burgers?  Do they all eat white buns instead of whole grain buns?  Do they all eat McDonald's burgers with a Pepsi instead of Harvey's burger with a strawberry milkshake?  I just said after a few seconds, I really can't help, you need to call the family.  I know, it's not technically people's faults of their ignorance towards a veg diet, but sometimes I forget just how little some people's knowledge on the subject actually is.
I guess what I'm trying to say here is.  Sweet potato, corn, pumpkin, avocado, etc, etc, one person may not think one's food choice is deemed "normal", but who's food is normal?  What makes food normal?  No human being is technically considered "normal", we all have our absurdities, and I think that pertains to our food as well.  The food I eat is "normal" to me, however, I look over to another coworkers plate beside me and I know it's different than my plate, but I know that it's not abnormal as it's normal to them.  I like the food I make, and I like the way I like it.  We are all different, and we have tastes, flavours and textures that we enjoy, hey food needs to evolve too doesn't it?
I loved this pumpkin chili.  It was certainly different from the initial chili I made, but it was fantastic.  Truthfully I couldn't say one was better than the other.  The first chili I made was definitely closer to a traditional chili, as the second was more-so what I imagine a Mexican chili would be like, with the addition of corn, avocado, salsa, etc... The avocado and salsa added such a zing to the chili it was wonderful!  The avocado was super creamy and because I chose a hot chili it sort of toned down the zing of the dish.  It truthfully was magnificent and not like anything else I'd ever made or tried before.  I would certainly make this again, as well, what was fantastic about it was the fact that it didn't even take 1/4 of the time to cook as the first, it was almost as if I was making an egg it took so little time.  I love simple and quick dishes like this that still blow your mind away with how wonderful they taste!
Mexican Pumpkin Chili Scramble
Recipe adapted from here

Ingredients:
  • 1 yellow onion - chopped coarsely
  • 1/4 cup corn
  • 1/4 cup edamame
  • Handful of frozen yellow/green beans - chopped coarsely
  • Couple of mini carrots - chopped coarsely
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin pure
  • 1/2 cup black beans
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp chili pepper
  • Dash of cayenne
  • EVOO (for pan)
  • Minced garlic - to taste
  • Sea salt and pepper - to taste
Topping:
  • Salsa
  • 1/2 an avocado - sliced
Directions: 

In a medium skillet, add a little bit of coconut oil.  Once your skillet is warm, add desired amount of garlic and your chopped onion.  Allow to cook until the onion becomes transluscent.  Once the onions have become translucent saute your vegetables for 2-3 minutes.  Add pumpkin puree, beans and spices, mixing until fulling combined, cover and let cook for about 5 minutes.

When slightly cooled, transfer to a bowl, top with a dollop of salsa, the sliced avocado, and enjoy!


Do you deviate in your recipes, 
or do you tend to stick with tradition?

2 comments:

Kelsey Ann said...

i definitely deviate all the time..i dont think ive ever stuck to a recipe the exact way its written hehe.

this pumpkin chili creation is totally calling my name!!! what a wonderful blend of flavors <3

xoxo

Samantha said...

I definitely find it hard to follow a recipe 100% the same way unless it's bread (but then I added spices to change it up :P)

If you try the chili let me know what you think, how you changed it ! :D

Samantha :)