Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Crisp, crunch, crack.

Dear Blogosphere,

It has been many, many months since all of us bloggers have been posting kale chip recipes, and unfortunately this is one craze that I am not ready to give up, not just yet.  Every weekend when I go to the local Farmer's Market, I can't wait to get my tiny little hands on that big bundle of dinosaur leaves so that during the week I have the tastiest, crunchiest, yummiest bunch of crispy leaves.  What I love is that, well in my case at least, the bunch doesn't last too long, so I never get bored of the flavours since I can make different one's each week.  Over the weekend, I had completely butchered the one batch I was attempting to make.  I was trying to Asian-afy them, and well, drenched those bad boys, literally soaked and well, I was left with seaweed.  It wasn't a pretty sight, it smelt like heaven, but, to look at, not so beautiful.

I decided to go to the Farmer's Market the next day to pick up more kale, instead of getting just one gigantic bunch, I also came across purple kale :D!  Needless to say I had to pick up a bunch, there is just something that draws me in with coloured food, on that note, I am still dying to try purple yams, I've come across them once, but seeing as I had five million sweet potatoes at home I decided not to pick any up, oh well, hopefully I shall find those soon enough.

Asian-Flavoured Kale Chips

Recipe by me

 

These kale chips were inspired by my favourite Asian flavours, and I must say the aroma they emitted (just like the failed batch) smelt like the Vietnamese restaurants that used to make me weak to my knees.  My house smelt wonderful, even over my nasty sweatified body (I always bike while my kale chips are in the oven, so that I'm being productive and healthy at the same time, instead of just watching tv while they're baking).  So yes, over my sweaty-ness, I could still smell the beautiful, captivating smells that these crispy wonderful leaves gave off, I was very happy.  I had to pick through some, and toss the rest of the batch back in the oven, so in total it was about 40 minutes for the last leaves to firmly crisp, but it was well worth the time!

These certainly replicated the Asian flavours I love so much, the only thing is I'd definitely up the amount of wasabi to 1-2 tsp if you like spice, because the oils definitely muted the wasabi taste.


Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp EVOO
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
  • A huge dollop of wasabi
  • 2 tsp minced ginger
  • 2 tsp minder garlic
  • Sesame seeds - for the sake of prettiness
  • 1 bunch of kale (approximately 6 cups unsquished)
Note: I didn't add salt, even with reduced sodium soy sauce I still think it's too much, but if you're a salt fiend go ahead :)

Directions:

Whisk all of your ingredients (but the kale) together and taste.  Toss with the kale until lightly coated all over. Spread in a single layer on baking sheets, DO NOT dump the leftover dressing or you will have a Shrek swamp on your baking sheet. 

Bake at 250 for 20-30 minutes, or until very crispy.  You  may have to sift through them time and time since they may not cook evenly.  Cool and enjoy.

I'm not sure what is up with the fruit in Montreal but it seems to last forever.  Yes, just like every other foodie out there, I'm one of those crazies who goes for the bulk bananas that are so black they look like children's feet in the summer, walking around the streets with no shoes on, my bananas are that black.  But, I still look like this crazy, cheap, bulk shopper and do it every time I come across a banana sale.  It's not like I'm eating them like that anywho, I immediately stuff them in Freezer Ziploc bags and I use them in my smoothies, banana soft-serve, breads, etc, it's perfect and you get them for so cheap.  I don't know why I felt the need to go on that tangent, but, the bananas we bought at the market that weren't the black as night bananas have survived two weeks and are still in amazing shape.  The first week I barely used bananas, so I consciously made my breakfasts' around bananas so I could use them up, and two weeks in they're still as good as new.  Tomatoes, carrots, peaches, kiwi's, plums they are strong, strong survivors in this province... maybe it's because we don't have cat germs flying around the house (okay I highly doubt that's the case, but you never know ;) ).

Overnight Banana Raspberry Pudding

Recipe adapted thoroughly from here

 

The last two mornings the breakfasts' I've made with banana's have been oh so wonderful.  Yesterday I made banana overnight pudding.  Basically it's overnight oats sans oats.  It's just as easy, just as delicious, and takes as many ingredients as you want, to as little as two if you want to be simple and just add banana and milk.  Besides that, you add in your favourite flavours, let them sit overnight and in the morning pudding.  It may not look all that beautiful... I mean this was one of the ugliest breakfasts' I've had in quite some time, but it sure didn't taste ugly.  It was wonderful and surprisingly for the few ingredients that were in it (other than the chia seeds of course providing the protein which is what I feel held me over from 7:30 am to 12:30 pm) there was nothing else really that filling, but it kept me fully satiated.

Ingredients:
  • 1 overripe banana
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
  • 2 tbsp coconut flakes
  • 1 cup of frozen raspberries
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
Directions:

To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance.

Combine all ingredients in a glass container, stir until incorporated, seal, and  place in the fridge overnight.

Enjoy right from the fridge, or heat in the microwave for 45 seconds.

Banana Muffin Smoothie

Recipe slightly adapted from here

 
This morning's breakfast, oh baby, yum, yum, yum!  By now, we all know coconut, cinnamon, and banana are at the TOP, TOP, TOP of my favourites' list, well oh baby was this smoothie amazing.  I've done the whole adding granola/oats to the smoothie before, but for some reason this one was just stellar.  This was a thick milkshake-like smoothie that was still drinkable through a straw without having to suck your face off (like McDonald's milkshakes, ugh I hated those as a kid... it always took so much strength for me to drink one of those), but this was like a Booster Juice, it was amazing.  The flavours came so well together and with the addition of the ground up raisins it was wonderful.  Even my mom asked for one, instead of banana however I made her's with raspberries since she has a hard time digesting banana.  It was definitely a winner and will be made again.

Note: I didn't do the overnight step last night as I was to engulfed in finishing my novel, and it still came out thick and wonderful so, up to you.

 Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chocolate soy milk
  • 1 frozen banana
  • 2 tbsp granola
  • 1 tbsp raisins
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp cashews
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • Toppings: coconut, raisins, granola
Directions:

Mix all of your ingredients but the toppings in your blender until reached desired consistency.  Top with your toppings, gulp and enjoy.

Hope you're having a great week so far :)  One more day and it's the weekend!

No comments: