Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Pancakes for one.

As I have mentioned on more than one occasion breakfast is by far my favourite meal of the day. I have also mentioned just how much I love anything in cake form especially pancakes. I usually leave the weekend for my "goodies" day... even though during the week I definitely munch on healthy vegan cookies or some delicious vegan ice cream (scroll all the way to the bottom for recipe). Despite all of this, the weekends are usually my pancake days, because here I can dress them and stuff them with anything I desire since my best work outs are usually on the weekend as well so I feel guilt-less.

With all of this being said, I knew I wanted to have pancakes on the weekend. I can't remember what night during the week (well okay, almost every night last week I slept for a mere hour... yes insomnia really is something I wish I could just kick, but it always seems to come back). Well, that one night after sitting in bed for hours upon hours, thinking and thinking, I decided to get out of bed and make a compote-syrup sort of thing. At this point I was already thinking of my weekend meal and I wanted these pancakes to be spectacular. Well, I had mint, so I figured hey why not use mint? Well I decided I would pair it with blueberries... I thought it would be a weird combination, but funny enough it was actually really tasty. Despite how much mint I actually used, the mint wasn't even overpowering the sweetness from the blueberries went very well with the mint and I'm sure the maple syrup had a little bit of help in there as well!

So here is what I did.

Blueberry-Mint Compote-Syrup

Recipe by me

In a small pot, over low heat I threw together: 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1 1/4 tbsp water... I let it simmer for ~ 10 minutes until it was syrupy. At this point I mashed the blueberries a bit (you could use a potato masher if you don't want any lumpy berries at all, but I did so I left out the masher). At the end I threw in 3 tbsp chopped mint, mixed it together and let it cool overnight.

Now is where the deliciousness with the compote-syrup comes in. I decided to try and make a pancake mix of my own with out looking at any recipes and win it was! (Seriously my insomnia is making me very creative... perhaps its a bittersweet happening)

Whole Wheat Spelt Blueberry Pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup spelt flour (or just use 1/2 cup whole wheat or what you have on hand)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • Dash of salt
  • 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
  • 3/4 tsp coconut oil
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 tbsp sunflower seeds
Directions:

Start by mixing your dry ingredients, add in your wet ingredients, finish by adding blueberries at the end. DO NOT over mix, allow your batter to sit for a few minutes so that the flavours really blend.

Cook as you normally would your typical pancakes. Between each pancake top with your blueberry mint compote-syrup, top with additional maple syrup, gobble up!

Yields four small pancakes - perfect for one!


What are your favourite pancakes, and do you see them as being weekend treats?


No comments: