Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Delicious snack

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start off by saying two posts in one week! It feels funny to say that, since at this time last year it was difficult for me to be posting less than seven times a week. Last night I didn't get home until after ten o'clock pm. Needless to say this morning I am very slow at getting to work, so instead of doing work... I figured I would do a little blogging.

Last summer I first came across recipes for breads that I had no idea that you could make at home... I had never done the research, then when finding these posts my mouth began to water and I knew I just had to make some. One of my favourites were for Pita Bread, I've never been a fan of pita bread, because I always found they were too flour-y and always stuck to my palette which I think is just gross, yes even the whole wheat ones. However, when I made them, I found that they were more dense than regular pita's and I didn't seem to have this problem.

Well, this month I have been craving carbs like there is no tomorrow. If I told you the amount of breads, rice and cake I've been eating I'd be mortified. It's getting bad. I needed to get out of this rut with something healthy, well, I did it. I modified the original recipe for the pita wraps, revamped it and holy moly, they were delicious and were packed with healthy nutrients! I was so happy, because I forgot just how easy they were to make, and the fact that these could be prepared, and ready to eat on the table in less than 30 minutes. Can you ask for anything better than that?

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat bread flour
  • 3/4 cup spelt flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 to 3 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp caraway seeds
  • 1/2 cup warm water (plus a couple tablespoons, if necessary)
Directions:

Mix together the flours, baking powder, salt, seeds and oil with your hands or knife until the mixture is somewhat crumbly.

Add in the warm water 1/4 cup at a time. Slowly. You don't want to add too much. However, if your mixture is too dry, keep adding slowly. Your dough should be moist, but not sticky.
Divide into four equal balls and let sit -- covered by plastic wrap -- for 5 to 10 minutes.

On a floured work surface, use a rolling pin to roll your dough into flat rounds look like tortillas.

Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Spray lightly with canola oil and then cook each tortilla until it is lightly browned on each side.

What was my favourite thing to do and chow down on with these tortillas? Fruity Tortilla Pizza's of course!

Almond butter or homemade peanut butter + mango chunks + banana slices + plain yoghurt mixed with amaretto agave nectar sprinkled on top.

Oh goodness me these were so delicious. What is awesome is that you can mix up the nut butters, your fruit combinations, add chocolate chips, marshmallows, candies, anything, oh the possibilities are endless and it is just so tasty! These made lovely, delicious, simple snacks, especially at work, I could go up to the lunch room and come down with a very satisfying snack in very little time!

No comments: