Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

A day in the life of.

The past two days I have been sitting in bed, sitting at my computer, and being a cool kid which pretty much includes browsing Facebook, YouTube, and blogs. I mean, I'm not complaining... but, this is my first week at a new job, thank goodness my mother is my boss right? I woke up Wednesday morning with my throat being crazily swollen, which definitely happened between 1-4 am because those were the only hours I slept. I hate how illness, bacteria, all those things work, oh well, that's life right. This morning was the same, I didn't even hear my mom leave for work, so needless to say, another sick day was due. I'm still really not feeling well, but some rest is definitely in order. I haven't even been doing my 30 Day Shred, oh nooooezz.

Nonetheless, with me being in bed for the majority of the day and not feeling well, it means that I do not want to go into the kitchen and spread my illness. It sucks that I'm even sick, I never get sick, the last few years have pretty much been nil when it comes to sickness other than H1N1 last year but that doesn't count! Regardless... I've been making killer breakfasts' and pretty much just snacking all day... I'm not hungry at all, but I know I need to eat, so I'm doing just that.

Banana Scramble Topped Oats

Recipe taken/adapted from here

Yesterday's breakfast was insanely delicious, I really am glad my tastebuds haven't left me! I've made a couple of banana scrambles in the past and everytime I have them I seriously fly to an alternate universe where they have nothing but good tasting food and everything is perfect. Yesterday I definitely hit that universe again, it was wonderful and I never wanted to leave, but... eventually I had to. This was definitely my favourite scramble as of yet. First off, coconut, banana, plus peanut butter, shower me in that please. Then you take that scramble and lay it on a BOWL of oatmeal slathered with granola, raspberry jam and soy milk? Holy moly, best thing ever. This was the perfect breakfast for a day in bed, especially because it was insanelyyyyy delicious, oh now I want it again!

Ingredients:

Scramble:

  • 1/2 banana
  • 2 tbsp soy milk
  • 1 tbsp homemade peanut butter
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tbsp rolled oats
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
Directions:

Heat a well greased pan over medium heat. Place doughy scramble on pan, stir and let brown.

Stuff in a sandwich or top on oats….or just eat it warm from the pan. You really can’t go wrong.

Oatmeal:
  • 1/2 cup oatmeal
  • 1 cup water
  • Dash of salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
Topped with:
  • Granola
  • Raspberry jam
  • Soy milk
The rest of the day however wasn't noteworthy since I didn't really make any meals and just snacked since I really couldn't bring myself to eating full meals.

Today however, I decided to not spend the whole day in bed. I never was one of those stay in bed all day people. Even when I was younger and I had to stay home from school I would keep myself occupied... well that's if I couldn't act well enough to go to school, seriously I was and still am a keener, I hate missing school, work, appointments, everything, but this was just needed.

Today I had a slow start to the day, but I decided to get out of bed a little after ten. For breakfast I made myself some kale wraps. I really enjoyed the Tropical "Sushi" Rolls I had made before, and figured since I had the time on my hands this morning I figured why not make some since I did have a huge bunch of kale left, so it's what I did. I switched it up a bit, and holy moly, mmmm I was quite impressed with myself. I have to say banana + pineapple + coconut are a match in heaven hence my absolute love for Pina Colada's, but peanut butter + jam + banana is one seriously addicting treat, ah! I made a mix of three different ones: peanut butter + raspberry jam + walnuts + half a banana halved, pecan butter + apple slices + raspberry jam, peanut butter + raspberry jam + apple + banana + coconut flakes. So here we are!

Fruity Kale Wraps


Ingredients:
  • 3 kale leaves - rib removed
  • 1 banana
  • Homemade peanut butter
  • Raspberry jam
  • Handful of walnuts
  • 1 apple cut thinly - eat the rest
  • Pecan butter
  • Coconut flakes
Directions:

Assemble as you would any wrap.


For lunch, oh for luuuuuunch I definitely went to town - metaphorically.

... lets start off by saying last week I attempted to make kale chips... and ugh completely set the fire alarm off, made a teeny tiny fire in the oven and lost my whole batch of kale, it was quite the failure, and I have to admit that happens VERY rarely, UNLESS I have people around me. It's just not good, which is why I'd probably never be able to work in a real kitchen. When I cook I get into my zone, and if people are in my bubble I get really distracted. I mean, I love when people are around me, and this doesn't happen all the time, but there are the times it does, especially if I'm on Skype, and perusing blogs at the same time, why do I do this? I haven't a clue really, doesn't look good on me though, oh well! Regardless, I can now almost say that I am thankful I was sick today because this lunch was pure bliss. Definitely one of the best meals I've had in a long time. I can't even tell you between the baked sweet potato or the kale which one was better. They were both so amazing, and together the punch of flavours, textures, and aroma was just fantastic!

I started off with the sweet potato since it needed to go into the oven for forty minutes, got that bad boy into the oven then went and prepped the kale. I am so glad out of all the crispy kale recipes I had looked at I made this one, I mean honestly... it's good I can copy recipes because my lack of originality is driving me nuts lately. I mean sure I can sub in some ingredients here and there but I want to come up with something completely amazing by myself... sucks I look at so many blogs and begin to drool and then need to save those links so I can drool while consuming what I looked at, bah.

The crispy kale was definitely amazing... and lets just say all the kale I made went into my stomach :( screw saving it for a week in the fridge, like I mean, if you had these in your vicinity I doubt you'd be able to save them either! ... only thing is while these were cooking I seriously wanted to gag. I'm not sure, I never used to be able to eat broccoli because they tasted like dirty feet to me. I had opened the fridge and thought the dirty feet smell was coming from the fridge until I realized it was my kale! I was incredibly worried but with time it disappeared, or I became accustomed, regardless of what it was I'm glad the smell went away... and don't worry there was no dirty feet taste in those at all, woo. Sweet, salty, tangy, crispy, complete perfection.

Onto the baked sweet potato. After making The MIGHTDIEFOR Smoothie, and picking at a bit of the sweet potato prior to adding it to the shake I realized just how long it had been since I had eaten a sweet potato and how much I love those orange buggers. Well, I had bought a few sweet taters the other night and knew I definitely wanted to try out this recipe. It was lip smackin' good and in combination with the crispy kale it was a perfect lunch! I made my sweet potato vegan but you can definitely un-veganize it with cow/goats milk + regular cheese.

Crispy Kale

Recipe taken from here

Ingredients:
  • 1 bunch of kale
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
Directions:

Preheat oven to 200 F.

Wash kale thoroughly and spin dry, trying to remove as much water as possible. Tear kale away from stem. Each kale leaf should be torn into about 6 or eight pieces. Place all ingredients except for the kale into a bowl, whisk together. Add the kale and mix together with your hands, gently massaging the leaves with the dressing.

Lay kale out on a cookie sheet or pizza pan and place in oven. Set timer for 30 minutes.
At 30 minutes, remove from oven and gently unstick kale from pan if it has stuck and replace for another 10-15 minutes until kale is dry and crispy.

Allow to cool. Can store in fridge for up to a week.

Twice Baked Sweet Potato - Vegan

Recipe adapted from here

Ingredients:
  • 1 sweet potato
  • 2 Shiitake mushrooms
  • Vegan Italian cheese - shredded
  • 1 1/2 tbsp soy milk
Directions:

Set oven to 375 degrees F.

Wash sweet potato stab with a fork all over. Throw into the oven. Cook for about 40 minutes depending on how big your potato is. Take out and slice open. Scoop out the insides into a bowl. Mash with milk until somewhat smooth. Stuff back into the skin and bake at 400 degrees F for about 10min. Top with sliced mushrooms and, cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.

No comments: