Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

More for National Oatmeal Month!

Overnight Oats

Since the new year I have dedicated some time to doing Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred video. Yes, the female trainer from The Biggest Loser. I did this work out last year but never stuck with it, I was weak. I am however now, completed day six. I have been working on this since Monday January 10th, 2011, so yes I've done this work out every single day since I started.

The first day my body was burning. Oh it was on friggin' fire. However as the days have progressed it has slowly become easier and easier. I'm proud to say I can actually do a push-up now. It may not be the best, but I've actually already noticed a difference since day 1 in my arms and am actually able to hold my weight up. Truthfully I really enjoy this work out, which is why after one year I have come back to it, why it took so long I haven't a clue, lethargy set in I suppose. Regardless. I cannot wait to see the "transformation" after 30 days. I've taken some pictures as well to motivate me to stick with it so here they are, yes I'm even going to post my "body" on the internet, ewwww. With that being said, when I finish day 10, I will be posting new pictures, day 20, and day 30 will all receive new pictures as well, since she does 3 intervals.

I'm really enjoying working out again. I do it right in the morning, and it just gives me such a fresh start to the day. I have a few more things I am really interested in as well in relationship to being active. I'm interested in finding a kick boxing class (if any of you have tried kick boxing what are your thoughts about it? Did you enjoy it? Was it a really rewarding activity?) I am also wanting to run by the end of the year a 5km marathon. I know 5km is definitely do-able. I don't want to set the bar too high because then it may not happen. I used to run all the time and with time I just got lazy. I really want to get back into it, and this year I am going to make it happen.

With all of this, this has led in me needing to fuel myself with more protein, better carbohydrates and in general eating more food to repair my muscles and simply have enough energy for the day. For the past couple of days now I have been making oatmeal, and, it still is National Oatmeal Month ;). I have bookmarked many, many oatmeal recipes and have been trying different ones each day. However, I've also come up with some variations myself that will be posted shortly. I know oatmeal is an incredibly easy thing to make, however, I will be posting them because sometimes you get in a lul and lets face it, just have plain oatmeal everyday isn't always the greatest. I find that seeing and getting ideas from other bloggers incorporating nuts, fruits, sauces, spices, etc helps add some variety into my diet and into my mornings. Also, sometimes they make really pretty pictures and that makes the whole thing even more fun!

Since I have been working out bright and early, it's nice to have a big bowl of oatmeal ready for you in the morning either for before or after your workout. A couple of months ago (in the summer) I saw a recipe for overnight oats, however I didn't save it since it was the summer and I don't usually eat hot oatmeal in the summer. I looked up the general process of how to make overnight oats and so this is what I did.

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1/3 cup vanilla Greek yoghurt
  • 1/3 cup vanilla fortified soy milk
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 cup cardamom
  • 1/4 cup ginger
  • A pinch of broken up lavender
  • Granola + extra blueberries for topping
Directions:

Mix all of the above ingredients except for the last two in a bowl (or your desired fruits/spices/spreads i.e. honey, agave nectar, peanut butter, jam etc...) into your bowl. Stir it around until everything is well mixed. Cover with plastic wrap and let it sit overnight.

In the morning stir your oats around (at this point your oats are going to be really fluffy) top with additional toppings and enjoy!

My thoughts:

At first I was really scared as to how this was going to turn out. I really hate mushy food, it freaks me out to no ends. I thought this was going to become mushy. However, it wasn't. The oats were in fact more like a granola with a softer bite to them (if that makes any sense whatsoever). They were delicious. I had never had rolled oats before, and these were delicious. All the flavour pairings worked really well, as I looked up what pairs well with blueberries and made the oatmeal accordingly. This was incredibly filling for many hours, and tasted very refreshing. I would certainly make this again with different arrangements of flavours, yum! What a great way to start the day :)!

Tropical Quinoa Porridge

Recipe slightly adapted from here

I love quinoa and to have it as a breakfast food is such a treat. When I made this I felt as though the whole waking up scene from Snow White with the animals should of happened. I'm not sure why I just felt like I was in a tropical paradise but wanted the cute cuddly forest animals around. It's been a while since I've had a good nights rest, the past two weeks I've been sleeping about two hours a night, then I'm working out now too so my body is feeling all energized and doesn't want to shut down. Okay, I don't know if that actually happens but I feel like it does, and I want that to be my excuse as to why I wrote that weird Snow White thing.

Regardless this was insanely delicious. Every bite was like a bite of the tropics. Mashed banana + whole banana + coconut + goji berries + pistachios mixed with cinnamon, soy milk and quinoa = one lip smacking good breakfast of happiness. This was so worth the fifteen minutes it took to cook. I ate this so slowly too to honestly get a full pleasured taste out of every bite. If you have some extra time in the morning that you can set aside for a hearty, healthy and delicious breakfast I highly suggest making this. Plus, it's so darn pretty to look at too!

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup uncooked red quinoa
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 ripe banana, divided
  • 1 tbsp pistachios, chopped
  • 1 tbsp coconut flakes
  • 1 tbsp goji berries
Directions:

In a small pot, bring quinoa, cinnamon/vanilla and soy milk to a boil, then simmer on low heat until all liquid has been absorbed and quinoa is tender (about 10-15 minutes). Add a little more soy milk or water if the liquid is absorbed to quickly and the quinoa is not done yet. Cut the banana in half, mash one half and stir into the cooked quinoa. Transfer quinoa banana mixture to a breakfast bowl or plate. Drizzle some more soy milk over the quinoa. Chop the other half banana. Sprinkle over the quinoa along with the chopped pistachios, goji berries and coconut flakes. Serve immediately.

Yields 1 serving

No comments: