Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Chewy Sugar Cookies

Recipe taken from here

A couple of months ago I put this recipe aside for when the time came that I would be in a sugar cookie mood. That time recently came up, so I made a batch. Funny enough the same day I made the recipe I found a picture of another sugar cookie and was instantly drawn to it, turns out it was the same recipe. It’s funny how you can see pictures on blogs, read the recipes (with out knowing you already have it) and be drawn to it. I just find it interesting how your tastes usually lead you to the same place, I say this, because it’s happened to me quite a few times over the past few months. I mean as a baker/cook we all have these wish lists of things we want to make in the future, and let me tell you, mine is rather large, but with the holiday season I’m hoping that it will shrink down just a bit. Nonetheless, this cookie appeared on the list twice so I guess it was in my future that I had to have these cookies.

As I was baking these cookies I was really impressed with the dough, everything seemed to be going fine. Once the cookies hit the oven however, disaster came. The cookies were spreading like wild fire. I’m still a little confused, because I didn’t read about that happening to the other two bloggers, their cookies looked light and fluffy and mine looked like drowned rats.

I took the cookies out of the oven, took two spoons and started re-shaping the dough. This worked. I put them back in the oven for a few more minutes. Due to the amount of butter however, I baked them a couple of minutes longer. I’m not sure why there was such a butter overload since I re-read the recipe and my amount was correct so I’m a little confused.

I let these cookies sit for a little while before tasting them. They were definitely a tasty cookie, hard on the inside yet soft and chewy on the inside just the way I like a cookie to be. The only thing is, I didn’t find that they were thick enough for the type of sugar cookie I like, due to the butter it made them spread a lot more than I think they should have even have re-shaping them. Would I make these cookies again? No, unless I tried to spruce them up to see if I could get them to be more like non-drowned rat cookies, but the taste was definitely exceptional.

Ingredients:
  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy. Beat in egg, vanilla extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in sugar.

Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

Makes approximately 24-30 cookies depending on size

No comments: