Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Amazing Hard Boiled Egg Oatmeal Cookies

Recipe slightly changed from here

Now I know you're probably looking at the title of this cookie and thinking, "what the f...?". When I saw the recipe for this cookie I was so intrigued that after about two minutes of staring it I quickly got to business and started boiling some water. I boiled the egg, let it cool down a bit, and got the food processor out. Now this is about the forth recipe I've made recently that has used a food processor instead of using a mixer, and let me tell you, as much as I love getting my hands dirty and using the hand mixer, using a food processor is such a nice gift to come across every once in a while.

The dough for this cookie smelt absolutely amazing, which I believe came from the honey and cinnamon. However, the last step is to add the egg, and holy jeebus the egg smelt disgusting. I'm not one of those "OH MY GOSH WHO BROUGHT THE ROTTEN EGG SANDWICH FOR LUNCH?!?!", but when you're making cookies and you open up the food processor and you get a gigantic whiff of egg it makes you wonder were these people on drugs when they said this cookie was awesome?

Let me tell you they definitely were NOT on drugs. These are the most fantastic cookie I have ever made in my life. Seriously, I think I might of moaned when I took the first bite. They were so cakey, and moist, and packed with flavour. Seriously, I had one cookie, then had another, then snuck a few more into my gut. I cannot believe how good these were.

I decided to try the oatmeal raisin cookie recipe before the chocolate chip cookies just because I definitely have built-up my c.c.c. recipes lately and am scared I'm going to get the pictures confused so I figured why not. Well, this is by far the best oatmeal raisin cookie you will ever find, I swear.

I tried to do some research on Google to see what the difference was between using a hard boiled and a regular egg. Well, Google completely let me down. However, seeing as my boyfriend is a complete genius he told me what the difference was. So, because there's a bit of scientific mumbo-jumbo I'm simply going to paste our conversation :)

Jordan: hm, how long do you bake your cookies for and at what temp
Me: 350 and 12-15 mins
Jordan: how long do you cook cake for and what temp
Me: 350, 45-60 mins
Jordan: ok, would you say that cake batter is more liquid than cookie batter
Me: absolutely
Jordan: ok, so in a liquid heat transfer is better, meaning that per degree of the air temp, the water will hold it better, so, you Boiled the egg, at probably about 100-150 degrees celsuis
which is like 300 degrees maybe less. heat transfer excellent during boiled, therefore the chemical change in the egg is high. when you cook an egg you turn the albumen (the white) into a more heat stable form. which essentially means it solidifies. solids are more heat stable than liquids, which are more heat stable than gases. so in a cookie, the temp is low enough and the heat transfer poor enough (mostly air transfer) that the egg never reaches that level of heat staBILITY. so the albumen remains more liquid, and there is less structure in the material which would look flat, soft and moist but, if the albumen is already converted, the structure is there, meaning that regardless of cooking temp, the cookie will have the characteristic of cake, which is cooked for longer in a better heat transfer medium since essentially in cake you 'hard boil' the egg, over 45-60 mins
Me: wow thats so cool!
Jordan: cool idea

When I first made these and had gone to heaven, I was all, "I wonder if these cookies would be as god-like if I used a regular egg", but after speaking to Jordan I knew it was the hard boiled egg that made the difference.

This is such an amazing cookie, it seriously, was one of the best cookies I have ever had in my entire life, I'm not even joking, you should try these out now!

Ingredients:
  • 1 stick room temperature butter
  • 1 cup AP flour
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 4 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 3 tbsp light brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 hard boiled egg
  • 1/3 cup golden raisins
  • 1/3 cup brown raisins
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In the bowl of your food processor, pulse flour and butter until mealy.

Add sugars, honey, salt, soda, cinnamon and vanilla. Pulse again until mealy. Add oats. Pulse. Add the egg and pulse until combined. Remove to a medium size bowl and work in the raisins with your hands.

Form the dough into 2 ounce balls. Place on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 15 minutes.

Let cool on baking sheet five minutes, then remove cookie to cooling rack.

Yields 9 large cookies.

Get yourself into the kitchen and boil up some eggs, trust me you will not regret it. Plus, then you can say it's a "breakfast" food and not feel guilty ;)

No comments: