Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Iced Pina Colada Shortbread Cookies

Recipe adapted from here

Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 6 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
  • Dash of sea salt
  • 2 1/2 tbsp + 1/2 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 cup + 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tbsp Pina Colada tea

Icing:

  • 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • 2 tsp Pina Colada tea
  • 1/4 cup sugar with a couple drops of yellow food colouring
  • 2 tsp milk

Directions for Cookies:

Cream together the butter and confectioner’s sugar until smooth. Set aside.

Sift together the salt, cornstarch and flour. Add this to the butter mixture and stir until the flour coats the butter but isn’t completely worked in. Add the Pina Colada tea.

Using your hands, lightly rub the ingredients together until the mixture is no longer dry. You will know it’s done when it forms easily into a dough ball. Try not to overwork the mixture or you will end up with tough cookies.

Flatten the dough out into a disc and place in a plastic re–sealable bag. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (or up to three days).

Preheat the oven to 325° F.

Take the fully–chilled dough and place it on top of a piece of parchment or a Silpat. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out to a thickness of 1/3 inch. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. (This dough barely spreads, so don’t worry about leaving a lot of space between each cookie.) Remove the scraps from between each cookie and re–form into a flat disc. (If dough has become too soft or warm, re–refrigerate it for a few minutes before attempting to roll it out.)

Lift up parchment paper or Silpat and place on top of cookie sheet. Transfer sheet to upper third of oven and bake for about 15 minutes (or until the edges of the cookies just start turning golden on the edges). Allow to cool before icing. If you already decorated the cookies with colored sugar, you won’t need to ice them (although I did both to some of my cookies and they turned out extra–special!).

Directions for Icing:

Whisk together first three ingredients. Start mixing in the milk by using one tsp at first, then continue adding in only enough to produce a smooth, fluid icing.

It is easiest to ice the cookies by dipping the tops into the icing and turning them over onto a wire rack (that has a paper towel under it to catch the drips). The icing will dry on the cookie and not stay sticky.
Over the summer the mall near my house opened up a tea store. This tea store has some amazing flavours from Amaretto cherry (this is the tea that got me hooked), creamy coconut, Pina Colada, Kalahari, Iced Age and many more. There are about 100 tea's to check out and they have anywhere from white tea, to Rooibos, to wellness teas. It really is a great store, and I'm hooked, which is good, because before that, I was drinking, *cough, powders and fizz water's that were loaded with aspartame. So horrible, but they were just sooo good. If you want to check it out here is a link to Teaopia's site.

One of the first flavours I tried was Pina Colada. I know I've mentioned it before, but I am a huge, huge, huge fan of coconut, which is probably why Pina Colada is such a weakness of mine. When I saw this tea, and smelt it I seriously think I went to another universe for a couple of seconds. It was so good, plus it changed your water to a beautiful fushia sort of colour. It's not your typical Pina Colada flavour but it is very similar and is definitely a nice change to your typical alcoholic beverage.
I wanted to take this tea and make them into a cookie because like I said I really enjoyed it. Boy were these cookies ever gorgeous too, plus they tasted awesome to boot. I gave in to even giving them some icing, because I knew that the tea would give the icing a beautiful colour too, and I was right, it had a nice pink hue to it.
These cookies are great by themselves or with your afternoon tea. I can't wait to take more of Teaopia's tea and make them into cookies... I think the next batch I'm going to use Amaretto cherry!

And just think, you don't have to be on vacation to treat yourself to some tropical flavours ;)

No comments: