Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Chewy Chocolate Cookies with Reese's Pieces Malteaser Chunks + Root Beer Float Cookies + Cinnamon Sugar Churros + Cinnabon Roll Cookies

Chewy Chocolate Cookies with Reese's Pieces Malteaser Chunks

Recipe adapted from here

These were such a fun cookie to make. I love adding cocoa to white batter, I just find the colour change so much fun to watch the whole process change. I was really excited for these cookies to come out of the oven, the smell of them while they were baking was amazing, it really scented up the whole kitchen. When these came out of the oven I was really hesitant as to whether put them back in the oven or not. They really felt like chocolate-y cake-y pillows, in the end I decided that not putting them back in the oven and letting them sit on the cookie sheet was better than having them overcook in the oven and sit out longer and become hard. This was a good decision, they were so moist and awesome! Also, the fact that I didn't use any butter, but all applesauce made me feel a lot less guilty when eating these since the recipe called for an insane amount of butter. I can't imagine how sinful these cookies would be with butter since they were already insanely good with just the applesauce. Really, this is an amazing recipe for kids, or anyone really with a sweet, salty, chocolate-y tooth! Try it out for yourself!

One persons comment about these cookies:
"Cookies were delicious death haha I only ate like 2 and a half, no way those things can be healthy ". I thought it was humurous.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cups cocoa
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups Reese's Pieces Maltesears
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until completely mixed in. Add vanilla and mix just until blended.

In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter/sugar mixture and mix on low speed until well blended. Fold in chopped peanut butter cups.

Drop by tablespoonfuls on an ungreased cookie sheet for 7-9 minutes. It's a little hard to tell when they're done, but just check to see if the edges are set. They will continue to bake a bit as they cool. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to cooling racks.


Root Beer Float Cookies

Recipe taken from here

My mom's boyfriend had bought a 2L botthe of Root Beer, and he's a little... let's say picky when it comes to expiration dates and such. He worked in a grocery store when he was younger so if something expires he throws it out right away. It ticks me off, because I don't like to waste, plus theres always something you can turn a product into. Take for instance these Root Beer float cookies, I took the root beer pop and made a reduction then used it as an extract.

These cookies were quite... a mess to make. Plus, I also made these when my insomnia was absolutely horrible so I wasn't thinking straight. I started making these at four in the morning after I had been awake for two days, thought the baking would knock me out, but that didn't even help. Regardless, the recipe asked for waaaaayyyyy too much butter, and being in the state of mind I was in I didn't think clearly.

I put them in the oven, (first let me tell you, the spices from the root beer holy what an aromatic smell, the reduction was sooooo nice). Now onto the cookies. They were not cookies, they were not even pancakes, they were... I don't even know what to say about them. I just wasn't impressed, the butter made them greasy disgusting mounds of grossness. However, again, I didn't want to throw out my disaster SO I added Rice Krispies. Lots and lots and loooots of Rice Krispies. They definitely took the grease from the butter away, and I was actually able to form them into cookies. I don't know what else I changed but I did do some different things, so I will post the recipe I took it from, but it was adapted. These cookies were such a hit, every person who had them was like "WOOOOWWWW!" Plus were shocked that they were Root Beer cookies, not sure why it's so shocking but I guess it's outside the norm of cookies, oh well, were a hit even after the huge disaster! Plus I did end up falling asleep about five hours later, in case you were wondering ;).

Cinnamon Sugar Churros

Recipe taken from here

Next on our cookie list is a treat I had never had before but was coming across them quite frequently on blogs; churros. "Churros, sometimes referred to as a Spanish doughnut, are fried-dough pastry-based snacks, sometimes made from potato dough, that originated in Spain. They are also popular in Latin America, France, Portugal, Morocco, the United States, Australia, and Spanish-speaking Caribbean islands. There are two types of churros in Spain. One is thin (and usually knotted) and the other, especially popular in Madrid, is long and thick (porra). They both are normally eaten for breakfast dipped in hot chocolate." - Wikipedia. I really am NOT a fan of deep-frying. I mean, I don't really even eat fries at restaurants because I hate grease, it really grosses me out. When I used to eat Wendy's or McDonald's fries I would always have a pile of napkins across from me to rub off the grease, it just, it makes me sick. These cookies though, I was willing to put my fears of oil aside and try these. Holy canoli, these were awesome. I wish I had had chocolate or hot chocolate or anything to dip them in, but I was just too lazy to do so and ate them as is. I ate soooo many right when they came out they were really good. I had some leftover (from the one's I didn't eat ;) ) and my friend finished them. Yes, between two people the whole batch got eaten, pretty sad, but they were so good! I probably wouldn't make them again just because of the process, but if I ever came across them I would certainly eat them =D!

*Note: these are definitely better served hot, they are good when they've cooled down, but the warm ones are much much better.

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup olive oil or canola oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Peanut or canola oil for deep drying
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp ground cinnamon

Directions:

In a heavy bottomed pan (not aluminium) combine the oil, water and salt and bring it to a rolling boil.

Remove from the heat and add all the flour and mix it enthusiastically together. You will see that the dough clumps up around the spoon.

Place it back on the heat and stir briskly for 30-60 seconds to dry out the excess moisture.

Now in another bowl, beat the eggs together and mix it in with the dough slowly until the eggs are completely incorporated.

At this point the dough will be a slightly sticky, evenly yellow mass.

Stir in the butter and you will see that the dough isn’t sticky anymore.

Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a large star shaped tip and pipe directly into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown then strain thoroughly and transfer to the plate in which the cinnamon and sugar has been mixed and coat evenly.

Cinnabon Roll Cookies

Recipe taken from here

Last up on our list are cinnabon roll cookies! I had been craving cinnamon rolls like there's no tomorrow, however, they took out the cinnamon roll store at our mall years and years ago, and the only other place I know to get cinnamon rolls are Tim Horton's. Well after working there, and being curious one day about the "nutrition" in their cinnamon rolls, ughhh... well I eat these very very VERY rarely. They are really good, I mean, for the most part I used to eat two or three a week at times, yeah I got addicted. These cookies were definitely different than a cinnamon bun but they definitely hit the spot. The cinnamon and sugar was perfect, and it was on such a soft-buttery sugar cookie, oh delicious! I didn't put icing, just like many of my other recipes, you will hardly ever see icing on my cookies because I really don't like the sweetness that it brings. These cookies definitely would of been MORE cinnamon-roll-ish if they had the icing but they were so good without I figured why add the extra fat that no one really needs. This is a great recipe if you're craving the cinnamon roll but don't want to feel bad for eating it later!

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup confectionery sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Cinnamon Mixture:

  • 2 cups sugar mixed with 5 3/4 tsp cinnamon

Directions:

Mix all ingredients in a heavy duty mixing bowl, until a soft ball forms.

On a floured board, roll into short 3 inch ropes, roll the ropes into a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Roll the rope into rounded circles, bake at 350 degree oven, till brown.

Enjoy :)

No comments: