Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

2 Types of Pizza + 1 Pizza Dough + 1 Crazy Pizza Bread + Warm Quinoa Salad

When I think about pizza, I don't think about pepperoni, Hawaiian, vegetarian, meat lover's etc... no, I think outside the box. Pizza to me is a treat, it's something I don't eat very often. When I want to indulge in pizza, I still want it to be healthy, I don't want it to be packed with grease, fat and stuff that I wouldn't eat on a "healthy" day. My family doesn't really agree with me on this part, they like to indulge and not feel guilty about it. I mean, my mom looooves to pack on the bacon, the cheese, more cheese, and what other else her little heart desires. I think it's because I stopped eating bread for so long because it didn't sit well, and only recently when I started making bread, I mean, it really was a treat so I wanted to have a really special meal. Here are a few different types of pizza's I have made in the past little while that are sure to be a hit!

Grilled Flatbread with Figs and Roasted Garlic

Recipe taken from here

I saw this recipe and it instantly jumped out at me. It's different, doesn't follow the typical pizza classification and had one ingredient I had never tried before but had been dying to try: figs. (Well at the time I thought I hadn't tried figs, until I bit into the pizza and realized that I had had figs before in a nature bar and that was the flavour I loved so much but couldn't figure out what it was). This pizza was insanely sinful. I started off with one piece. Went back for another. Cut off a piece of another slice. Took that slice. Went back for probably a total of five or six pieces. I am not proud of myself for what I did, but it was so so worth it. This was so delicious, I do not have one single complaint about it... well maybe one, that I don't have any left... but mmm, if you're a fan of figs this will definitely please you!

Ingredients:
  • 1 ball of pizza dough (recipe below)
  • 2 whole heads of garlic
  • 2 sweet vidalia onion
  • 12- 16 fresh figs, ends trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
  • 6-8 oz of soft goat cheese
  • 4 whole wheat flatbreads
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper

Directions:

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the very top off each head of garlic so that the cloves are just barely exposed. Drizzle with Olive oil, and wrap loosely in foil so that there is room for steam. Place on a cookie sheet in the oven and bake until the cloves are soft and a caramel color, about 40 minutes. It may take a bit longer depending on the size of your garlic. Once they have cooled a bit, you can pop each clove out by squeezing the garlic from the bottom (or you can use a spoon).

While the garlic is roasting, make the caramelized onions. Peel and cut the onions in half, and then each half into thin slices. Drizzle some olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Place onions in pan, and saute for about 5 minutes. season with a pinch or two of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Saute on medium low for 20-30 minutes more until they are soft and have a caramel color. Set aside.

Heat grill to medium-high heat. Lightly brush olive oil on each flatbread. Divide the onions and garlic evenly across each flatbread. Scatter the figs across each flatbread, making sure to cover the surface (you want a bite of fig in each bite!). Crumble the goat cheese on top of figs. Place each flatbread directly on the grill, and grill with the lid on until the flatbread is crispy, and the cheese has melted, about 8-10 minutes.


Grape, Pecorino Romano and Pine Nut Flatbread

Recipe taken from here

This was a delicious pizza, it reminded me, or made me imagine that this would be something you would have in Italy. It was a great mix of ingredients, the only thing is, and for me to say this is like WOAH, but I would almost classify this more as a dessert pizza than a meal pizza. It really was sweet, perhaps it was due to the grapes I used, I'm not sure, but I just found that overall it was too sweet for a dinner meal. It's not to say this is a bad thing, I mean hey it gave my weekly meals a little bit of a change, and it was a delicious pizza. Again the crust used was absolutely perfect for this recipe!

Ingredients:
  • 1 ball pizza dough (recipe below)
  • 2 tbsp pine nuts
  • 3/4 cup red seedless grapes halved
  • 3/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
  • 2 sprigs diced fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp lemon zest
  • Garlic powder
  • Salt to taste
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Cut your grapes in half. Grate ½ cup (or more) of romano cheese. Toast pine nuts on a pan on low heat, tossing frequently, until they’re toasted golden brown. Set aside.

Roll out a fist-sized ball of pizza dough as thin as possible without tearing. Place it on a baking sheet that’s sprinkled with a little flour or semolina so it doesn’t stick.

Dice rosemary. Combine olive oil, rosemary and a pinch of salt in a small bowl and beat with a fork. Slater top of dough with it using a brush or back of a spoon. Bake until dough begins to puff up and bottom is toasted golden brown. Remove from oven.

Apply generous layer of cheese. Place grapes (cut side down) with about ½ inch space between. Apply ham. Apply another very thin layer of cheese. Bake until grapes blister and crust become firm and crispy.

Remove from oven and add toasted pine nuts while flatbread is still piping hot.


Flatbread Pizza Dough

Recipe taken from here

For the above two pizzas, I used this dough. This dough worked out really well. It really was a thin-crust pizza dough. When it was cooked it became really crispy, so it worked really well for flatbread recipes! I will certainly use this recipe over and over again, since it is easy to make, and the results are stupendous.
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 2 1/4 tsp instant yeast
  • 1 1/4 cups water, at room temperature
  • 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 4 cups whole wheat bread flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • Olive oil or butter, for greasing the bowl
Directions:

Place the 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl. Add the yeast and stir. Let sit for about 5 minutes, or until the yeast begins to swell. Add to the room temperature water and oil and stir.

Place the flour and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix briefly until combined. With mixer on low speed, slowly add the liquid ingredients. Mix just until a cohesive dough forms. Let the dough rest for 5 minutes.

Change to the dough hook attachment. Knead the dough until it becomes smooth and elastic, about 5-10 minutes.

Oil or butter a medium-sized bowl. Transfer the dough to the prepared bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel or plastic wrap and place in a warm spot. Allow to rise for 1 ½-2 hours, or until double in volume. The dough is now ready to be used in your recipe.

Makes enough dough for approximately 3 large thin-crust pizzas

Crazy Pizza Bread

Recipe adapted from here

I had a few friends over that were... well to say the least a little inebriated. Whenever I start drinking the first thing I crave is lots and lots of cheese on a big pizza! I don't know why I crave this, I just always seem to. Anywho, I hadn't drank anything, but I figured it would be nice to have some food for my friends since they were starting to get hungry, and I didn't want any cranky drunk people in my house. I wasn't really in the mood to make a pizza because I didn't have any sauce made, and we don't buy store bought, but I wanted to kill two birds with one stone and use up some of our leftover vegetables. After looking around on my blogging sites I found the perfect recipe: pizza in a loaf! This went like a forest fire. My one friend who well... doesn't really consider vegetables to be a food group devoured this bad boy. There were only two small pieces left afterwards, and they gobbled them up in no time. It was simple to make, didn't take an insane amount of effort, and used up vegetables that I wasn't in the mood to eat with my meals!

Mix-Ins: - Don't know the amount used in each case since I just whipped everything together and added as I went; in total I probably had about 2 cups of vegetables and 1 cup of cheese

  • Spinach
  • Broccoli
  • Tomatoes
  • Red pepper flakes
  • Pepper
  • Potatoes
  • Garlic
  • Parmesan
  • Green onion
  • Marble cheese

Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp yeast
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
Directions:

Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a bowl. Let it sit for 3 minutes until foamy, then add in flour and salt. Mix (using a mixer, spoon, or your hands) just until it comes together. Add in the olives and toppings and combine well. Dough will be tacky, but feel free to dust with a bit more extra flour if it feels too tacky. Let rise for about 1 hour, then put in the refrigerator for another hour.

Take the dough out of the refrigerator and flour a Silpat or waxed paper. Roll out into a rectangle about 11×17”. Sprinkle cheese over top. Then, using the Silpat or paper, fold along the long side, like an envelope. Seal sides so cheese is not exposed. Let rest while you preheat oven to 450 degrees. Let oven stay at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.

Bake the bread, either on a pizza stone or baking sheet, for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. About 3 minutes before taking it out, lightly brush the top with olive oil and let it finish baking. Let rest on a wire rack to cool slightly before slicing.

Spinach and Mushroom Quinoa Salad

Recipe taken from here

I didn't know where else to post this recipe so I figured it would go nicely with my pizza recipes. This was an excellent meal. When eating quinoa you don't need too much to fill you up. It's hearty, nutty, flavourful, warm, easy to make, smells delicious what else can you want? I devoured this. It was simple to make, took barely any time at all and was healthy at the same time!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup of uncooked quinoa (prepared with vegetable stock according to the directions on the package)
  • 1 package of crimini mushrooms
  • 1/2 medium red onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 handfuls of fresh spinach, sliced
  • 6 or so leaves of basil, sliced

Directions:

While the quinoa is cooking, saute all the ingredients except the basil in a small pan with some olive oil. When the quinoa is done, toss with the mushroom mix and stir in the basil.

How about trying one of these recipes for your next Friday night pizza meal?

No comments: