Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Strawberry Limeade + Crab and Strawberry Salad with Lime + Chocolate Spring Rolls with Strawberries and Honey + Strawberry Banana Muffins


The other night my mom, her boyfriend, my brother and I went to Milestone's for dinner. My mom's boyfriend had decided to order strawberry lemonade for his drink. It looked absolutely amazing, and the fact that he guzzled it down in pretty much two sips said something.

The other day when we bought groceries we bought strawberries. I'm aware that strawberries are currently out of season, but these were disgusting. We bought two packs, and both were absolutely filthy. However, they were good in my baked goods since they were bruised, so it made the berries sweeter and juicier which was definitely great for this strawberry limeade. I really enjoyed this drink, it was not too sweet and not too tart, I would however add more limes next time just to make it a little tart because I do like that sort of drink once in a while. This was simple to make, and it was really refreshing especially on a hot summer's day.

Ingredients:
2 cups of fresh whole strawberries
the juice of 2 limes
3 cups of water
1 shot of rum - if it's the middle of the afternoon and you don't want a virgin drink ;)

Directions:

Remove the tops of the strawberries and give them a good rinse to remove any loose dirt. Place all of the ingredients into a blender and puree everything together. Since my strawberries were bruised they really were very sweet so I didn't even add the agave nectar, however, if you have a sweet tooth and don't find this sweet enough go ahead and add some agave nectar, honey, or sugar!

Crab and Strawberry Salad with Lime

I have not yet tried this, but I made this for the boyfriend and he devoured it. He said the flavours really did mesh well together. I can't wait to make this for myself, it looks amazing, especially with the lime! Oh, I can't wait! ... I didn't try it when I made it because it was a "midnight snack", literally made this at 1:00 am, yeah...

Recipe taken from here

Ingredients:
  • Flesh of 2 avocados, cubed
  • 1 English cucumber, cubed
  • 1 1/2 cups fresh Strawberries, quartered
  • 3/4 lb snow crab meat
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • Sea salt and Pepper
Directions:

In a bowl, gently toss all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve immediately.


Chocolate Spring Rolls with Strawberries and Honey

Apparently the above beautiful salad was not enough food for Jordan (the bf, don't know why I've never said his name before), so I made him some spring rolls. I've never made spring rolls before, they were definitely not as fun to make as Vietnamese spring rolls, only because of the wetting process, but it was incredibly easy. I made him two different types of spring rolls. The one's that I made for him as an actual "appetizer" had broccoli slaw, carrots, cucumber, and peppers. He really liked these, however, when I had bought the egg roll wrappers my intention was to make desert spring rolls. This I did and he devoured them, while I was cleaning I hear, "OH MY GOSH!", I got really worried actually, and I was like "WHAT?!", "THESE ARE AMAZZIIIIING!"... and as mentioned before, Jordan doesn't have a sweet tooth so I think that should be a sign of how good they actually were :)!

Ingredients:
  • Kit Kat bars
  • Aero bars
  • Rice Krispies
  • Honey
  • Strawberries
  • Egg roll wrappers - 2 for each roll you're going to make since the chocolate will melt through one roll
  • Icing sugar to sprinkle on top if desired
  • Water to get the rolls to stick
  • Vegetable oil to fry the rolls in
Directions:

Take your water and dab some water on your finger, trace the edges of the egg roll wrapper with the water so that your roll will stick shut. Stuff your roll with your filling, the reason I put Rice Krispies is because Jor's favourite chocolate bar is Crunch which has Rice Krispies in it so I thought why not. Fold two corners in, and from the end that hasn't been folded, gently roll your roll to finish it, almost like a taco. Do it once more with another roll so that your chocolate doesn't melt out of the roll. Heat your oil, and gently place the rolls inside. Make sure there is enough oil to cover it, or place a smaller amount and flip your roll carefully but quickly so that it doesn't brown too much on one side. Serve with drizzled honey, strawberries, and icing sugar, I didn't do icing sugar since I didn't want it to go all over the place, but it would look pretty with it!

Strawberry Banana Muffins

Since I still had some remaining strawberries that were incredibly bruised I decided I would make muffins. Now, I really am not the biggest fan of muffins, I'm not sure why, I like oatmeal or bran muffins, but everything else, I find that they're just too cakey. I mean, I don't have a problem with cake, but I rather just make cupcakes or cake rather than muffins if it doesn't have bran or oatmeal. I'm not even sure if I have ever posted a muffin recipe on this blog... come to think of it I don't think I ever have. These muffins were very good though. They were so good that Jenna had three in the one day and I gave her some to take home, and my mom's boyfriend devoured a few as well and kept saying "mmmm... mmmm...". I had one for breakfast, they were very good, I even microwaved it so that it would taste as if they just came out of the oven, definitely a good muffin, but I did think they were very cakey, oh well, they were delicious nonetheless, why complain! If I have people over for breakfast this will definitely be something I'll whip up since it's pretty healthy and clearly a fan favourite.

Note: I didn't as much sugar as suggested, since my strawberries were really sweet from all the bruises. Also, I didn't think that the banana shone through enough so next time I would probably add another banana and a half.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup strawberry goji yoghurt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries
  • 1 banana, thinly sliced
Directions:

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Farenheit

Grease your muffin tin with either Pam or butter

Combine the butter, yoghurt, and egg in a small bowl and beat it lightly.

In a larger bowl, pour your flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar and gently mix it.

Toss in the chopped strawberries and sliced banana, then stir to coat with the flour mixture.

Pour in your milk mixture and stir it all up together.

Fill up the muffin cups with your batter, then place in the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.

Let them cool down for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and serve these bad boys up.

I know this has been a very long post, but I hope you enjoyed it and will try at least one of these recipes since they were all so good!

No comments: