Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Sweet Potato Chips

It has been about seven years now since I have consumed potato chips. Say what? Yeah, you heard correct. I gave them up when I was in grade nine, because I literally ate a bag a day. No, not the gigantic ones, but the ones you buy from the vending machine. That is why vending machines at a school are bad, the "healthiest" food in those things are probably the oatmeal raisin cookies which still probably pack about 340 calories, eek. So, I had decided enough is enough, I was starting to get a belly, and just felt ridiculous that I was spending so much money on food that was unhealthy for me. I cut them out cold-turkey. Now, when they're around me and I crave them all I have to do is smell the bag and that feeling goes away.

Ever since I started perusing through blogs I have come across so many different varieties of chips, from sweet potato, to beets, to regular potatoes and many other nifty varieties. Seeing as I had a sweet potato in my fridge, I decided today is going to be the day I try out this recipe. I'm glad I did, they were really tasty. Mine didn't turn out exactly like potato chips, I mean, they weren't AS crunchy, I had taken them out of the oven a little sooner than the recipe said. I did this since I was afraid that they would burn. Since I don't have a mandolin I had to cut the sweet potato with a knife, and well, my cutting of the potato was not very even at all, so some were really thick while others were thin, which led to un-even baking, which was why I was afraid that they would burn.

I didn't follow one recipe in particular, since I was reading through four or five different recipes to get ideas, so this is what I did.

Ingredients:
  • 1 large sweet potato
  • EVOO
  • Sea salt and pepper
  • Red pepper spice mix tasted almost like an all-dressed chip
Directions:
Slice the sweet potatoes. Make these very thin, if you have a mandolin USE THAT, since you want your chips to all be of equal thickness so that they cook evenly, and honestly slicing sweet potatoes thinly is hard (I almost cut myself a few times.)

Line cookie sheets with aluminum foil, and if you have Pam or such spray the foil with oil, if not, what I did was placed the potatoes on the foil and just poured the EVOO one, none of mine sticked so it worked just as well for me.

Place sweet potato slices on cookie sheets, so none are on top of each other. Sprinkle your seasoning on top of your chips. There are so many things you can do, (salt and vinegar), (rosemary, basil, oregano), (sea salt), using your popcorn dressing and putting that on top, etc...

Bake in oven at 375F for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are cooked all the way through.

Take out of oven and flip over to other side, spray with more oil, and add more seasonings.

Turn oven up to 450F, and bake again about 10 min. or until the slices are crispy. You may have to watch them depending how thick or how thin you sliced them, or even what rack it was placed on.

Voila, your own homemade potato chips, that are healthy!

No comments: