Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Soft Pretzel's

The other day I had a masssssive craving for pretzels, this was a horrible horrible idea to set myself up for. Me, being as impulsive as ever, and needing to feed that craving I made a batch. My first batch ever, as you will probably be able to see from the pictures, haha. Anyways, I made these bad boys, and as I've mentioned I cannot really digest bread (no, I do not have celiac... don't really feel like discussing what I have until well, my test results come back and I have a more definitive answer as to what I have because right now there are a few possibilities). Anyways, I ate ONE pretzel, and this was a teeny-tiny little wee one, and pretty much fell to the floor. I was in so much pain from that little bugger that I really regretted making these. I loved the taste but the aftermath was just not worth it... ughh, stupid body.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons margarine
  • 2/3 cup milk - again vanilla-fortified soy milk was used
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
Directions:

Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add in your milk, stirring until dry ingredients are just moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 12 times.

Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Cut dough lengthwise into eight 1-inch strips. Twist each into a pretzel shape; brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with coarse salt, or really anything you'd like, poppy seeds, cinnamon, sugar, sesame seeds, cheese, etc... Place on lightly greased baking sheets and bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool pretzels for a few minutes on wire racks; serve pretzels warm.

This made 9 mini pretzels for me

Enjoy :)!

No comments: