Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Whole Wheat Pasta with Asparagus in an Avocado Sauce


From the picture you cannot really tell that there is an avocado sauce, because of the colour of the whole wheat noodles + bad lighting, but it is there!

I'm sure you are no different than any other grocery shopper: you buy food thinking you can make such wonderful dishes with this one item, than just never find the time to use it. Soon enough, that one item has gone bad. What was my item? Avocado. To be honest, avocado is a fruit (yes, it's a fruit and not a vegetable) that doesn't rate high in my books. I deal with it when I eat sushi, but it's not something I go specifically to the store for. The last time I went to the grocery store however, I actually wrote it down on my list. What was I planning on making, but never got around to you ask? http://vanillakitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/sushi-bowl.html It is still highly on my list of foods to make, it's just bf and I ate all the salmon before I could make this. So, I could either go buy more salmon, or make an avocado and mango salad. Well... that option ran away too, because we enjoyed the mango salad so much that all three mangos we bought went to that. Now is when my cooking skills came to the table. If you know me, I try to feed you as much food as I can. I hate leftovers, because leftovers in my house back home always got turned into waste. I absolutely HATE waste. I cannot stand food being wasted, and I cannot stand the wasted money that goes along with wasted food. So... I thought to myself, green green green... SAUCE! Avocado's are smoothe, they're fatty, they'll hold up in a sauce. So, here it is!

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 avocado's
  • Juice from 1/2 a lemon
  • 1 clove of chopped garlic
  • 2 tbsp EVOO
  • 1/2 medium tomato
  • Sea salt/pepper to taste
  • Asparagus - as much as you would like
  • 1/4 cup milk - in my case I used vanilla fortified soy milk
  • Pasta of your choice - I used whole wheat egg noodles
Directions:

Cook the pasta ‘al dente’ in plenty of boiling water with salt. Drain and keep hot.

Sauce: in a food processor, blend the avocado, tomato, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Do this until it is a very smoothe consistency.

Cook your asparagus with the EVOO in a seperate pan. Cook 2-3 minutes.

Cook your sauce in a different pan on medium to low heat. Add milk to make it a creamier sauce. Keep this on the oven until it becomes warm. Add your pasta in the sauce. Toss, place it on the plate. Top it off with the asparagus, and a little sprig of parsley or coriander.
Enjoy :)

No comments: