Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Best Buttermilk Pancakes


Over the past couple of months I have become a little obsessed with pancakes. I crave pancakes almost on a daily basis, but since I know they aren't the healthiest of meals, I control myself. I had never had buttermilk pancakes so I wasn't sure what the outcome would be, but since I had a ton of leftover buttermilk from the Red Velvet cupcakes I thought I'd give them a try since I don't know when the next time I will have buttermilk in the house. I'm so glad I tried this recipe out, they were by far the best pancakes I've ever tasted.

I took Martha Stewart's buttermilk pancake recipe (http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/best-buttermilk-pancakes-by-martha) and adapted the recipe a little bit.

Ingredients: Only made half a batch since there were only two of us eating them, if you want to make a full batch I would suggest using a whole teaspoon of vanilla if you were wanting to add that.
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour I used whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 3 cups buttermilk
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/2 teaspoon for griddle
  • added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
  • added merchens chocolate
Directions:

Heat griddle to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons butter; whisk to combine. Batter should have small to medium lumps.
If you let your batter sit for five-ten minutes it becomes fluffier, therefore when cooking it the pancakes aren't as flat :)

Heat oven to 175 degrees. Test griddle by sprink
ling a few drops of water on it. If water bounces and spatters off griddle, it is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush remaining 1/2 teaspoon of butter or reserved bacon fat onto griddle. Wipe off excess.

Using a 4-ounce ladle, about 1/2 cup, pour pancake batter, in pools 2 inches away from one other. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute

Repeat with remaining batter, keeping finished panc
akes on a heatproof plate in oven. Serve warm

Until next time, have a great day :)

No comments: