Pages

The Foodie Blogroll

Crab cakes



I've been on a seafood kick lately, but seeing how expensive it is, I decided that I should make something that is within my budget. I decided I would make crab cakes. Since most of the recipes I found either had mustard or mayo incorporated into the recipe (two ingredients I completely despise) I decided that I would go through a couple dozen recipes and try to make up my own concoction. I came up with this:

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans of President's Choice crab meat (120g each)
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup bread crumbs (I like to use bread crumbs that have spices in them, if your bread crumbs don't you can add oregano, and other herbs that you think would go nicely)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1.5 celery stalks cut into very small pieces
  • Parmesan cheese to taste
  • 2 green onion stalks
  • Oil (preferably grape seed, or extra virgin olive oil) - for the pan
Directions:
Combine eggs, salt, pepper, green, celery and Parmesan until well blended in a medium sized bowl. Next add the crab meat (drain the water, there will be enough liquid from the eggs). I just threw in bread crumbs as I saw fit, however, if I had to measure I would say 3/4 cup of breadcrumbs. Depending on how bread-y you want your cakes to be, you can even boil a few potatoes, mash them and add them to the mix (however, seeing as I'm trying to watch what I'm eating this is the best alternative). Combine until well incorporated.

Grab the mixture and make into patties, as though you were making hamburgers. You can either keep in fridge with saran wrap or turn to the stove right away.

On high, heat your oil. When your oil is hot enough, add as many crab cakes as desired, however turn the stove down to medium heat so that your crab cakes don't burn the outside and keep the inside cold. (I added all of mine at the same time, so I could eat them right away!) Keep the cakes in the oil for 45 seconds, then flip over and to do the same the same to the other side. If you feel as though this isn't enough time, keep the cakes in for longer, each stove does differ so you just have to try it out!

Serve with a side of sweet potato fries and enjoy! See you next time :)

Yields - 12 medium sized crab cakes.

No comments: